Sheffield Wednesday boss Darren Moore says Moses Odubajo is unlikely to feature again this season with the fullback out of contract this coming summer, Yorkshire Post report.
Odubajo joined the Owls in July 2019 on a free transfer.
The 27-year-old has made 40 Championship appearances over the past two seasons, but injury has ruled him out of action since January earlier this year.
Odubajo has yet to feature under new manager Darren Moore.
And speaking to reporters, Moore says he doesn’t expect the player alongside midfielder Massimo Luongo to return to fitness before the end of the season.
“By the time they get to the level in terms of the contact with the team, we just think the season will have run out of legs for them in terms of getting back. In weeks to come you might hear of them being back on the training ground and running or doing ball sessions with the group, they’ll need the volume of twisting in turning, of match minutes, of a couple of Under-23 games – because of all that, I don’t envisage them being back,” Moore explained.
Odubajo started the season as a regular wingback on the right side.
But he later struggled at right-back under Tony Pulis and came in for criticism from a section of the club’s supporters during the 2-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest in December.
Odubajo’s contract at Hillsborough expires this coming summer.
It’s possible he has already played his last game for the Owls, with the club expected to make several changes this season regardless of what division they find themselves in.
Several other first-team squad players are also out of contract, including the likes of Tom Lees, Adam Reach, Jordan Rhodes, Elias Kachunga and Osaze Urhoghide.
The Owls will have to cut back financially in the event of relegation to League One, while staying in the Championship should also prompt fresh changes to the squad.